Rent A Cottage In Scotland

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Clan MacIntyre Tours of Scotland


Clan MacIntyre Tours of Scotland. The Gaelic for Macintyre is 'Mac-an-T'saoir' which means 'son of the carpenter'. The origin of the name comes from a traditional story of the clan. It is thought that the clan can be traced back as early as the time of Somerled during the 12th century, A line descending from Macarill settled on the mainland on lands of Glen Noe which are by Ben Cruachan on Loch Etiveside.

Towards the end of the 13th century the Macintyres established themselves as foresters to the Lords of Lorn. Many of the family records were lost over time so the chiefs of the Macintyres are difficult to list in succession, but the first record of a chief is Duncan, who married a daughter of Campbell of Barcaldine. He died in 1695.

The Earl of Argyll led the Covenanters in the Scottish Parliament. The earl's lands were pillaged but Alistair Macdonald, who led the royalist forces, chose not to attack the Macintyres at Glen Noe because they were related.

James, who is recorded as the 3rd chief, was born c.1727. He studied law and was approved as a good scholar and poet. He returned to Glen Bow upon the death of his father. A monument to the poet, which was erected in 1859, still stands near Loch Awe.

The Macintyres spread throughout many areas in Scotland and established their fortunes in various capacitates. A branch of the Macintyres served as hereditary pipers for the Macdonalds of Clanranald while the Macintyres of Rannoch served as pipers for the Mackenzie's.

Septs of Clan: Tyre, MacTear, Wright, McEntire.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:48 PM

    Someday I would love to go on a tour of Clan MacIntyre, especially since my mother's maiden name is McIntyre and I have been doing a bit of research about my ancestors' homeland.

    I don't know exactly how long the McIntyre family has lived in Canada, though. My cousin did our Family Tree recently, but I don't remember much of the info. I'm going to have to get a copy of that "tree". Oh well, I am still in the early stages of my research.

    Anyway, as I said, someday I really do want to go to Scotland and see where part of my family comes from. It sure does look like a beautiful place to live. :)

    ReplyDelete