
There has been a fortification of some sort at this site on the East Coast of Scotland since the late 1100's. St. Andrews castle has been through many changes in ownership. It fell to the English in the early 1300's. The Scots retook the castle in 1314 but once again the English captured it in 1330. The Scots recovered the site in 1337. After this siege, the Scots destroyed the castle so that the English would find it unusable. Reconstruction was undertaken in the late 14th century by Bishop Walter Trail. During the 1400's, the Sea Tower was used as a state prison and had a bottle dungeon. The other unusual attraction is the existence of a mine and countermine used when the castle was under siege in 1546-1547.
Summer Road Trip Drive On B934 Route On History Visit To Forteviot
Perthshire Scotland
-
Tour Scotland 4K Summer travel video of a cloudy weather road trip drive,
with Scottish bagpipes music, East on the B935 route on ancestry,
genealogy, fam...
17 hours ago


No comments:
Post a Comment