Rent A Cottage In Scotland

Friday, July 25, 2008

Tour Scotland Portrait

Hello Sandy, I came across your good and interesting website. I was wondering if you can assist me in a book or portrait search. I am in search of a portrait. This portrait is a fine painting of a Scots woman; I believe it might have been painted anywhere from the 17th Century to the 19th Century, but I beleive it might have been from the 17th or 18th century. I came across this portrait a few years ago while I was thumbing through a book on Scotland. I saw this photo of this painting and it just about floored me: the female subject was a spitting image of my wife ! I should have purchased the book at that time, but I didn't. Since then, I've been keeping my eyes open for that painting or photo. I've searched in book stores looking under Scottish Art History, Scottish History, Scotland, and the like, but nothing so far. I've started looking online as well; I looked at the National Galleries (Scotland), and other such museums, but cannot seem to locate this one portrait.

Can you help me find it?

A description is in order: A portrait, very likely Scottish, of a woman, seemed noble or at least aristocratic. Possibly 17th or 18th century. Woman is somewhat middle aged, not old, melancholy expression. Red hair? (can't remember, but I believe so), slightly pale in complexion. May have a clan pattern/tartan pattern around her shoulders. Not a gorgeous woman, but stoicly elegant, long neck/face, low brow, blue eyed.

The book I saw her in was, I believe, one of Scottish history (with portraits included), or of Scottish Nobles (I don't think it was of Scottish art specifically, though I might be wrong). I happened to see this book at a discount store (Big Lots), in California, USA a few years back, and I hadn't seen it since. I recently saw a book called A History of Scottish Art, by Bill Smith, being sold online, but it doesn't let me explore the pages therein.

I hope you can help me. You might be in a better position to locate it, or have much better resources available to you, since you are in Scotland. Thank you and very much appreciated; hope to hear back !

Cheers, Dino Alvarez, Houston, Texas, USA.

Can anyone help ??

No comments:

Post a Comment