Rent A Cottage In Scotland

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Tour Culross Scotland

Culross is an attractive example of an old Scottish burgh in West Fife, situated on the River Forth seven miles west of Dunfermline. Created a royal burgh in 1588, Culross was the legendary birthplace of St Kentigern, also known as St Mungo. An abbey was founded here in 1217 by Malcolm, 7th earl of Fife, and during the 17th century salt panning, coal mining, weaving and trade with the Low Countries from the foreshore port of Sandhaven were developed, chiefly by the enterprising local merchant Sir George Bruce. Another famous product of the town at that time was the iron baking girdle. The village of Culross is rich in 17th and 18th century cobbled streets. The main historic landmarks are: Culross Palace, built by Sir George Bruce in the 16th century; 13th century Culross Abbey, a Cistercian foundation; the Town House (1626); and The Study (1633) with its corbelled top storey.

No comments:

Post a Comment