Rent A Cottage In Scotland

Friday, May 18, 2007

Touring Scotland


As a native Scot, who has organized and guided tours to my homeland for the past ten years, I am often asked to name my own favourite areas of Scotland. Unsurprisingly, the East Neuk of Fife, where I was raised until age 16 would be my first choice. The ancient city of St Andrews, where I spent most of my young adulthood would be another choice. Dunkeld, on the River Tay, is my favourite small town, not just for its charm, but also for its ideal location in Perthshire. In the Highlands, where incredible scenery abounds, the Applecross Peninsula, in beautiful and rugged Wester Ross, and the Isle of Skye, are but a few of my favourite places to visit.

By far the most common mistake made by visitors to Scotland is trying to do too much, over too short a time period. That is the central error made by visitors, from the independent travelers who rent cars, to the large coach companies who abound in Scotland. Both these groups of travelers may "see" lots of Scotland - and yet never make any true connection with the country, and much more importantly, its people.

The solution, as it has been for may years with my own wee Tours of Scotland, is to choose excellent base locations with a wealth of possible day excursions into the surrounding countryside. You can then return each evening to your " home-away-from-home." This method will allow you to wander the village streets before breakfast, and after dinner, and also provide you with a better opportunity to meet Scots in the pub, or church, or village hall.

It's a simple truth, that to really enjoy and understand Scotland, you must try to meet and communicate with Scottish people. So when travelling in Scotland, just relax. Don't feel like that you have to try and see everything. No " thing " really matters all that much any-way, particularly by comparison to meeting " people. "

No comments:

Post a Comment