A beautiful day in Scotland, probably the best weather of the year thus far. Drove into Eastern Perthshire and took a tour of Meigle Churchyard, Scotland. Meigle is a village in Strathmore, Scotland.Meigle was an independent barony, held, from at least the time of William the Lion, by an old family who assumed the surname De Meigle. Over thirty sculptured stones have been discovered at Meigle, all found in or by the Parish Church of St Peter, and are housed in adjacent museum.
The Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum is housed in the former Victorian village school and contains an important collection of more than thirty Pictish Stones, many of them superbly carved. Meigle Pictish Stones are definitely worth viewing.
Sir Campbell-Bannerman was buried in the churchyard of Meigle Parish Church, Perthshire, near his home, Belmont Castle. A relatively modest stone plaque set in the exterior wall of the church serves as a memorial.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Sunday, March 30, 2008
Tour Scotland March 2008. My second small group Tour of Scotland of 2008. This Four day tour, based out of Dunkeld, Scotland, included; Abernyte, Aberuthven, Ardoch Roman Camp, Ballinbreich Castle, Burrelton, Cambusmichael, Collace, Coupar Angus, Crail, Dron, Dunbarney, East Neuk of Fife, Edinburgh Castle, Elie, Forgandenny, Forth Railway Bridge, Kettins, Kilrenny, Kinnoull, Kirkton of Largo, Lower Largo, Montrose Mausoleum, Moot Hill, New Scone, Newburn Church, Newtyle Fishing Beat, Old Scone, Perth, Perthshire, Pittenweem, Redgorton, River Tay, Scone Palace, St Andrews Cathedral, St Andrews Old Course, St Andrews St Rule's Tower, Stanley Mills.
Tour Pittenweem, East Neuk of Fife, Scotland. Pittenweem is fishing village on the East Coast of Scotland.
Tour St Andrews Cathedral, Kingdom of Fife, Scotland. The ruins of the Cathedral of St Andrew, at one time Scotland's largest building, originated in the priory of Canons Regular founded by Bishop Robert (1122 - 1159). It was not completed and consecrated until 1318 in the reign of Robert the Bruce (1306-29). The Cathedral and its associated conventual buildings were sacked and became ruinous after the Reformation in 1559. At the end of the 17th century, some of the priory buildings remained entire and considerable remains of others existed, but nearly all traces have now disappeared except much of the defensive Priory wall, with its towers and gates. To the west of the Cathedral, the 14th century main gateway into the Cathedral precinct, known as the Pends, also survives.
Tour Stanley Mills, Perthshire, Scotland. Stanley Mills is probably the finest surviving example of an Arkwright cotton mill and a very important remnant of Scotland’s Industrial age.
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Elie Ancestry Tour Scotland. Spent today in the villages of Elie and Earlsferry in the East Neuk of Fife, Scotland. Elie is very close to where I was raised in Scotland, in a fishing village called Cellardyke. Elie Photographs. Elie in 1846, a parish, and burgh of barony, in the district of St. Andrew's, county of Fife, three miles from Colinsburgh; containing 907 inhabitants, of whom 829 are in the village. This place is supposed to have derived its name from the marshy nature of the soil previously to the modern improvements in agriculture, and a portion of land bordering on the loch of Kilconquhar still retains that character. The manor has been for many generations in the family of Anstruther, of whom the first baronet, Sir William Anstruther, represented the county of Fife from the year 1681 to 1709, and was made a lord of session in the reign of Queen Anne, strenuously exerting himself for the establishment and maintenance of the Protestant religion. A small harbour on the coast here seems to have been formerly very much resorted to as a place of safety, in stress of weather, by ships navigating the Frith of Forth, as, if they missed this haven, there was no other till they were driven on the coast of Norway. It was easy of access, and perfectly secure; and in a petition presented to the privy council for its repair, it is stated that it had afforded protection to more than 300 troops that must otherwise have perished in a storm. It is now in a very ruinous and dilapidated condition, but, from a survey recently made, it appears that it might be completely repaired, and rendered one of the best harbours on the coast of Fife. The parish, separated from that of Kilconquhar about the year 1639, is two miles in length, from east to west, and one mile in breadth, and is bounded on the south by the sea; it comprises 1570 acres, of which 1464 are arable, 50 woodland and plantations, and the remainder pasture and waste. The surface is generally flat, and the sands along the shore are peculiarly commodious for bathing: a small rivulet, issuing from the loch of Kilconquhar, traverses the parish, and falls into the harbour; but there is no river.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1799.
25th April Helen Chapman.
20th May Mary Alllan.
28th June James Walker.
26th July Sir John Anstruther, Bart.
8th Aug Agnes Galloway.
23rd Aug Margaret Luken.
9th Oct James Patterson's child.
21st Oct Agnes Cowie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1800.
18th Jan David Wilson's child.
26th Jan Peter Jarvis, Farmer, Balmonth.
11th July Janet Wright.
14th July Robert Bridges, Merchant.
14th July Philip Galloway.
26th June John Hay's child.
15th Nov Charles Chapman, Carpenter.
10th Dec Alexander Milne, Shoemaker.
22nd Dec Janet Downie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1801.
11th Feb Mrs. Spaldon.
6th March James Brown's child.
27th March Agnes Ovenstone.
30th March Robert Preston's child.
26th April A child belonging to a Soldier.
4th May William Wood, Merchant.
15th May Christian Stocks.
31st May Mechial Dewar's wife.
3rd July Andrew Pousty's child.
3rd July A man found at the Saucher.
6th Sept Catherine Durie's child.
6th Dec Mrs Gray.
24th Dec William Walker, Shoemaker.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1802.
28th Jan Charles Stewart's child.
17th Feb Lady Anstruther, died in London, aged 75 years.
10th April Mary Brown, spouse of John Ovenstone, Taft.
21st April John Bridges, Baker, aged 84 years.
20th May Benjamin Calman's child.
10th June Mrs Sime, Spouse of William Sime, Carter.
2nd Oct Agnes Brown, daughter of William Brown, Weaver.
14th Nov A daughter of Robert Thomson, Fisherman, Elie Taft.
7th Dec Philip Calman, son of Benjamin Calman.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1803.
21st Jan Agnes Purson, daughter of George Purson, Mason.
11th March Jean Brown.
31st March Thomas White Wright.
10th April A child of the deceased Thomas White.
14th April Janet Horsburgh, Spouse of Thomas.
30th April Elizabeth Wishart.
6th May Andrew Pousty's child.
9th May Thomas Douglas.
9th May Isabel Pousty.
24th June Margaret Tullis' child - 5 feet South of West door.
26th June David Marr's wife.
13th July Mrs Birrell.
15th July Catherine Thomson.
17th July Ann Steel.
22nd July John Ballingall, Earlsferry.
27th July William Ovenstone, Fisherman, Elie Taft.
31st Aug Helen Chalmers.
22nd Sept James Taylor, Thatcher.
4th Dec Isobel Given, Spouse of the late Thomas Douglas.
18th Dec Mr Chalmers.
21st Dec Agnes Maitland.
24th Dec Betty McIntosh.
31st Dec Agnes Wishart.
31st Dec Alexander Lefsels.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1804.
24th Jan John Bains, Sailor.
2nd Feb John Hindmarch.
13th Mar Suffie Carstairs.
23rd Mar Mary Durkie.
3rd April John White, Schoolwynd, aged 92 years.
7th April Mrs Wood, aged 83 years.
16th April A son of Mr Scrimgour.
14th May Alexander Melvin, late Cook in Revenue Cutter.
24th May William Swan, son of George Swan, Baker Elie.
17th June Doctor Airken, Elie.
7th Sept Mrs Anstruther.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1805.
8th Jan Margaret Allan.
12th Jan Ann McIntosh.
22nd Jan Janet Mackie, Spouse of John Goven, Weaver, Kilconquhar.
25th Jan William Herd, son of William Herd, Shoemaker.
29th Mar A man Named Wymiss, belonging to St. Andrews, one of the crew of a Vessel belonging to
Dundee which was lost, with all hands, between the Fish rock, and "Lady's House," on a
Dark stormy night, none having witnessed the sad event. Having been 4 weeks in the water.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1805.
2nd May William Duddingston of St. Ford.
9th May Cecilia Brown, Spouse of William Brown, Weaver in Elie.
11th June Ann Stevens, Spouse of William Bruce, Weaver.
13th Sept George Purson, Mason, Elie.
5th Oct Joseph Boyd, Son of George Boyd, Tailor.
4th Dec Christian Mackie.
31st Dec David Robertson, Son of Peter Robertson, Second Mate of the "Charlotte" Cutter.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1806.
11th Jan Mary Galloway, daughter of Robert Galloway, Ploughman.
27th Jan Janet Boyd, daughter of William Boyd, Rottenrow.
1st Feb Janet Smith, Spouse of John Calman.
2nd Feb A man belonging to Pathhead who was lost from a boat at "West Sea."
12th Mar Mrs Chalmers, Spouse of Peter Chalmers, Elie.
5th April Agnes Taylor, grandchild of John Flee, Elie.
28th July Janet Black, Spouse of deceased William Walker Wright.
24th Sept Mrs Jarvis, Spouse of Peter Jarvis, Farmer, Balmonth.
17th Oct James Sime, Carpenter, Elie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1807.
3rd Feb James Stevenson, or Steenson, Elie.
19th Feb William Brown, late Cook, Elie House.
5th Mar Christian Black, Elie.
8th April Elizabeth Bennett, Spouse of George Swan, Baker, Elie.
9th April Margaret Ballingall, Spouse to the deceased Andrew White, Weaver, Drumeldrie.
20th April Mathew Taylor, Parish Schoolmaster, Elie.
21st April Jean Rainie, Spouse of David Leuchars, Sailor, Elie.
31st May Christian Milne, Spouse of Thomas Foggo.
28th June John Dougla, Tailor, Elie.
9th July Jean Birrell, sister of George Birrell, Sailor.
11th July Isobel Given, daughter of the late Robert Given, Weaver, Elie.
31st Oct Isobel Bridges, cousin of John Bridges, Baker, Elie.
21st Nov Helen Boak, Spouse of James Glenday, Heckler.
15th Dec Jean Forbes, daughter of the late Alexander Forbes, Tailor, Balcleavie.
16th Dec Mary Bruce, sister of William Bruce, Weaver, Elie.
28th Dec Mysie Given, Spouse of the deceased Archibald Thom, Sailor, Elie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1808.
7th Jan Sir Philip Anstruther, Bart.
7th Jan Peter Jervis, Tenant, Balmonth.
5th Feb Edward Anderson, Weaver, Elie.
18th Feb Margaret Coventry, sister of the late Peter Coventry.
19th Feb John Cowie's young child.
7th Mar John Thomson, son of Robert Thomson, Fisherman, Taft, Died of measles.
7th Mar Walter Berwick, son of Charles Berwick, Brewer, Died of measles.
16th Mar Robert Dewarm son of Michael Dewar, Carter.
28th Mar Margaret Calman, daughter of Benjamin Calman, Weaver, Elie.
11th April Agnes Cumming, daughter of William Cumming, Carter, Elie.
18th April Mary Mason, daughter of William Mason, Sailor, Earlsferry.
26th April Mary Gilmour, Spouse of deceased Archibald Thom, Flesher, Elie.
6th May James Greig, Weaver, Earlsferry.
23rd Sept William Robertson, Senior, Sailor, Elie.
20th Nov Ann Clark, daughter of William Clark, Jobbing gardener, Elie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1809
29th Jan John Lawson, Farmer, Elie.
31st Jan Margaret Patrick, Spouse of John Ponton, Weaver, Rottenrow.
25th Feb Thomas Simpson, late Brewer to Mr Chalmers, Elie.
11th Mar John Reid, Doctor, Elie.
4th May Minnie Durkie, Spouse of William Pousty, Heckler, Elie.
24th May A man (name unknown) found by the Fishermen.
1st June Mary Lewchars, daughter of David Lewchars, Sailor.
4th July John Calman.
5th Sept John Wishart, son of James Wishart.
24th Sept Agnes Wright.
30th Sept A young child of Duncan McDonald, Sailor.
26th Oct Margaret Duncan, daughter of Thomas Duncan, Carter, Elie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1810.
9th Jan James Ovenston, Innkeeper, Elie.
28th Apr David Robertson, son of Peter Robertson.
24th May Philip McIntosh.
12th June Elizabeth Duncan, Spouse of John Smith, Labourer, Elie.
15th June Elizabeth Craigie, Spouse of Craigie Smith, Shoemaker, Elie.
5th Aug John Wishart, Weaver, Elie.
20th Aug William Pousty, Heckler.
23rd Aug George Rankillor.
1st Sept Agnes Carmichael, daughter of the deceased James Carmichael.
2nd Sept Grisel Coventry, daughter of deceased William Coventry, and Spouse of Daniel Gilmour,
3rd Sept David Simpson, Sailor, son of William Simpson.
22nd Sept James Chapman, Mason.
2nd Oct Barbara Dickson, Spouse of William Hyndmarch.
15th Oct Christian Simpson, daughter of William Simpson, Tidewater, Elie.
2nd Nov David Patterson, son of James Patterson, Pitcorthie.
3rd Nov Catherine Duncan, Spouse of the deceased James Brown, Fisherman, Elie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1811.
5th Jan Henny Ovenston, daughter of the deceased Charles Ovenston, Fisherman.
10th Jan George Swan, Weaver, Earlsferry.
21st Jan Margaret Iwne, Spouse of the deceased Philip McIntosh.
24th Jan James Bennet, son of William Bennet, Sailor, Elie.
15th Feb John Ingles, son of William Ingles, Farmer, Ardross.
22nd Feb James Todd, Cook, Asnaburgh Cutter.
11th Mar Margaret Bowie, Spouse of the deceased Alexander Thomson, Earlsferry.
1st Apr Michael Dewar, Carter, Elie.
29th May May Bridges, daughter of John Bridges, Baker, Elie.
24th July Peter Robertson, Mate of the Charlotte Cutter.
23rd Aug Thomas Smith, Sailor, Son of David Smith, Labourer. Killed by the falling of a block on
board the Asnaburgh Cutter, not far off Elie Harbour.
11th Oct Captain John Archibald, late packet Agent, Elie.
22nd Oct John Sime, son of John Sime, Mason.
29th Oct James Reekie, son of William Reekie, Ploughman, Ardross.
29th Nov Mary Ovenston, Spouse of William Govan, Tenant, Abercrombie.
20th Dec James Millar, son of John Millar, Mariner, Elie Taft.
27th Dec Grisel Wood, Spouse of the deceased Walter Brown, Shipmaster, Elie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1812.
4th Jan Ann Ballingall, Spouse of the deceased Alexander Lessels.
21st Jan Margaret Taylor, Spouse of Walter Ovenston, Sailor, Elie.
31st Jan Mysie Wyllie, daughter of the deceased William Wylie, Elie.
31st Jan Maglin Milne, daughter of the late Alexander Milne, Shoemaker, Elie.
15th Feb Helen Milne, daughter of Alexander Milne, Shoemaker.
12th Apr Mrs Wilson, Midwife, Spouse of deceased John Wilson, Weaver, Elie.
17th June Elspet Duncan, Spouse of John Flee.
27th July Elizabeth Sime, Spouse of the deceased James Taylor, Elie.
7th Aug Margaret Cairns, Spouse of Andrew Paton, Sailor, Elie.
11th Sept A young child, granddaughter of John Scott, Tailor.
5th Nov Margaret Scott, Spouse of John Bridges, Baker, Elie.
7th Dec Mrs Fleming, Mother in law of George Berwick, Brewer.
23rd Dec A poor Scottish beggar man, name unknown.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1813.
6th Jan Jean Given, Spouse of the late William Horsburgh.
11th Mar Margaret Halkerstone, Spouse of the late Alexander Patterson.
15th Mar Margaret Bridges, daughter of John Bridges, Baker, Elie.
15th Mar Alexander Bennett, son of Alexander Bennett, Sailor, Elie.
18th Mar Mrs Cowie, Spouse of John Cowie.
11th Apr David Luke, Lint Miller, Elie.
8th June David Currie, Son of John Currie, Wright, Elie.
24th July Andrew Thomson, late Ship Master, Elie.
8th Aug Christian Sime, daughter of Alexander Sime, Mason, Elie.
18th Aug Margaret Beveridge, Spouse of the deceased Philip Galloway.
13th Sept Alexander Jervis, Earlsferry.
28th Oct Ann Langlands, Spouse of James White, Packet Master, Elie.
16th Nov William Boyd, son of William Boyd, Rottenrow.
8th Dec Ann Beveridge, daughter of the deceased John Beveridge, Weaver, Elie.
22nd Dec Ann Mays, Spouse of John Munrow, Earlsferry.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1814.
21st Jan Agnes Brown, Spouse of deceased William Ovenston, Taft.
18th Mar David Currie, Wright.
20th Mar Mr. Oliphant.
23rd Mar Andrew Ovenston, Spouse of William Bennet, Sailor.
24th Mar Robert Douglas, son of John Douglas, Weaver, Elie.
1st July Betty Byars, daughter of the deceased William Byars, Elie.
12th July Elspet Beveridge, daughter of the deceased John Beveridge.
12th July Grandchild of David Ballingall, Earlsferry.
12th Oct Mrs Patterson.
21st Oct Benjamin Calman, son of John Calman.
30th Oct John Tulloch.
12th Nov Agnes Ballingall, daughter of John Ballingall.
21st Nov Janet Dingwall, daughter of Andrew Dingwall, Wright.
19th Dec Andrew Paton, Mariner, Elie, aged 84 years.
20th Dec James Brown, Wright, Grandson of David Purvis.
27th Dec Helen Hutchison, daughter of Kenneth Hutchison, Sawyer.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1815.
2nd Jan Peter Boyd Senior, Tailor.
18th Jan William Ballingall, son of David Ballingall, Earlsferry.
6th Feb Christian Spalding, Spouse of John Adamson, Packet Agent, Elie.
27th Apr David Purvis, Flesher, Elie.
30th Apr Walter Bowman, Son of George Bowman, Shoemaker.
9th May Janet Robertson, daughter of Peter Robertson, Elie.
14th May Miss Sampson.
26th May Archibald McIntyre, Son of Mr McIntyre, Gauger, Elie.
23rd June Christian Sime, daughter of John Sime, Mason, Elie.
26th June Janet Durkie, Spouse of the deceased James Walker.
4th July Isabell Jarvis, daughter of Thomas Jarvis, Millwright, Colinsburgh.
10th Aug William Swan, son of George Swan, Baker, Elie.
10th Sept Jeanie Hay, daughter of John Hay, Sailor - 6 yards Southeast from Dunbar Stones.
15th Sept Isabell Wallace, Spouse of the deceased William Walker, Shoemaker, Elie.
26th Sept David Lyal, son of David Lyal, Weaver.
3rd Oct Janet Ovenston, daughter of Walter Ovenstone, Master of Elie and Leith Packet.
26th Oct David White, son of Thomas White, Wright.
29th Oct William Ovenston, son of Walter Ovenston.
5th Nov Mrs Robertson, Spouse of the deceased Peter Robertson.
4th Dec Ann Philp, daughter of Robert Philp, Shoemaker.
9th Dec Catherine Allan's child.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1816.
20th Feb James Clark, Seventh son of Edward Clark, Mariner, on board H.M.S. "Regent".
23rd Feb Janet Black, Spouse of David Boyd, Barnyards.
11th Apr Margaret Ballingall, Spouse of David Jack, Sailor, Earlsferry.
19th May Agnes Given, daughter of James Given, Mason, Elie.
19th May A young child of Mr Tillford's.
3rd June Mary Chapman, daughter of deceased James Chapman, Mason, Elie.
13th Aug James Younger, aged 85 years, Gardener, Newton, or Charleton.
30th Aug Catherine Wood, daughter of Dr. Wood, Cupar, Fife.
18th Sept Elizabeth Balram, Spouse of Peter Jarvis, Earlsferry - 4 yards South from Jarvis' tomb.
26th Sept Margaret Black, daughter of William Black.
4th Oct Alexander Duncan, killed at the Lint Mill, Elie.
5th Dec William Myles, Mason, Elie.
18th Dec Mrs Young, Spouse of Mr Young the First Mate of the "Wellington" Cutter.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1817.
20th Feb John Munrow, Earlsferry.
11th Apr John Alexander, Sailor, who was drowned by the upsetting of a boat near chapel point while
on it's way from Leith to Elie Harbour.
20th Feb Susan Ovenston.
13th Apr Nancy Pousty, daughter of Andrew Pousty, Weaver.
16th Apr William Pousty, son of Archibald Pousty, Heckler, Elie.
19th Apr Minnie Pousty, daughter of Archibald Pousty, Heckler.
23rd Apr John Wishart, son of James Wishart, Sailor.
23rd Apr Andrew Gray, son of Archibald Gray, Sailor.
1st May David Pousty, son of Archibald Pousty, Heckler.
2nd May William Calman, son of John Calman.
12th May John Wilkie, Natural son of John Wilkie, late Gardener, Elie House.
14th May John Lawson, son of Alexander Lawson, Farmer.
24th May Ann Davidson, daughter of deceased Simon Davidson, Weaver.
12th June William Brown, Weaver, Elie.
2nd July John Sim's young child.
20th July Helen Hastie, Spouse of James Pittillow.
25th Oct Elizabeth Chapman, daughter of the deceased Philip Chapman.
29th Oct Isabell Plenderleith, daughter of the deceased Benjamin Plenderleith.
8th Nov James Glendey, Heckler.
10th Nov John Buie, Colinsburgh.
11th Nov Christian Ness, Spouse of John Constable.
17th Nov Agnes Cummings, daughter of William Cummings.
28th Dec Robert Sime, son of William Sime, Mason.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1818.
6th Jan Agnes Herd, Spouse of the deceased William Douglas.
20th Jan Elizabeth Wallace, Spouse of deceased James Sime, Carpenter.
28th Jan Sir John Carmichael, Anstruther, Bart.
11th Apr John Duncan, Labourer.
2nd June Magdlen Milne.
27th July Jean Stevenson, daughter of the deceased James Stevenson.
30th July William Sime, son of Alexander Sime, Mason.
15th Aug Robert Thomson, Fisherman, Elie Taft.
25th Aug Helen Scott, daughter of the deceased Dr John Scott.
9th Oct David Marr, Blacksmith, Elie.
20th Nov James Ovenston, Shipmaster, son of John Ovenston, Taft.
4th Dec Joseph Ingles. Gardener, Balcaskie.
22nd Dec Elizabeth Maitland, Spouse of James Keddie.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1819.
7th Jan John Currie, son of John Currie, Wright, Elie.
21st Jan Hugh Swan, son of George Swan, Baker, Elie.
27th Jan William Ponton, Weaver, Rottenrow.
Feb Edward Sime, Ship Carpenter.
29th Mar Helen Baxter, spouse of the deceased Alexander Milne, Shoemaker.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1820.
1st Jan Robert Thom, Mason, son of the deceased Archibald Thom, Sailor.
17th Jan Christian Bowman, Spouse of the deceased George Bowman, Weaver.
2nd Feb Mrs Ponton, Spouse of William Ponton, Weaver, Rottenrow.
6th Feb Margaret Ovenstone, daughter of David Ovenstone, Fisherman, Taft.
10th Mar Jean Russel, Spouse of the deceased William Myles, Mason, Elie.
7th April Mrs Morris, Mother of John Morris, Baker.
17th Apr William Given, Mason, Elie.
21st Apr Alexander Archibald, Candlemaker.
19th May Andrew Thomson, son of Helen Latto.
18th Oct Robert Adamson.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1821.
5th Feb Euphemia Sharer, daughter of Charles Sharer, Sailor, Earlsferry.
Mar May Wyllie, a young woman, friend of George Richards.
25th Mar Agnes Lawson, daughter of Alexander Lawson.
22nd May Catherine Spense, spouse of Alexander Wood, Esq.
24th May Peter Jarvis, son of Peter Jarvis, Ballmonth.
29th Jun Isobell Morris, Spouse of Peter Given, Mason, Elie.
11th July Margaret Black, spouseof David Ballingall, Earlsferry.
24th July Agnes Gray, daughter of James Gray, Sailor.
16th Aug Janet Lyal, daughter of David Lyal, Weaver.
29th Aug Elizabeth Swan, daughter of George Swan, Baker.
15th Sept Janet Calman, Daughter of David Calman.
18th Sept Isobell Speed, daughter of Mr Speed, a Gentleman from Edinburgh.
14th Oct Hanna Rodney, Maidservant of Major McKay, Elie Lodge. A native of Ireland.
15th Oct James Givan, Weaver, Sometime Sergeant in the Volunteer Corps.
Elie and Earlsferry Gravestones 1822.
6th Feb John Davidson, son of Robert Davidson, Labourer.
7th Mar Mary Guthrie, daughter of John Guthrie, Sailor.
11th Apr ? Black, daughter of William Black, Currior, Colinsburgh.
1st June Margaret Philp, spouse of John Sime, late Ship Carpenter, Elie.
Friday, March 28, 2008
Tour Scotland Loch Ness Youth Hostel. Loch Ness Youth Hostel. Loch Ness Hostel is situated on the banks of the infamous Loch Ness. Only 30 minutes from Inverness and about two hours from the Isle of Skye, there is plenty to do in the area. The Great Glen walking track passes the door, and the end-to-end cycling route is nearby. Drumnadrochit is 12 miles away, where you could visit historic Urquhart castle and take a boat cruise. From the hostel there is easy access to the loch shore, and you will have plenty of opportunities for Nessie-watching from many of the bedrooms and the cosy dining room. Tour Loch Ness, Scotland.
Tour Scotland Carbisdale Castle Youth Hostel. Carbisdale Castle Youth Hostel. Why not stay in a real highland castle? Carbisdale Castle Youth Hostel was built for the Dowager Duchess of Sutherland. Since then it has housed wealthy and influential people, and even served as a royal refuge. The Castle has a large art collection and a collection of Italian marble statues on display in a main gallery and even a ghost. An amazing experience not to be missed. Carbisdale is set in an area of extensive natural beauty overlooking the river Kyle with many local woodland walks. "Towering high above the rocky and salmon packed river, one of the most opulent Youth Hostels in the World." - Rough Guide to Scotland. Carbisdale Castle serves breakfast, packed lunch and excellent dinners all year round.
Tour Scotland Tomintoul Youth Hostel. Tomintoul Youth Hostel. A small friendly hostel with great facilities set in the refurbished village school, surrounded by distilleries, walking trails and amazing wildlife. It’s no surprise that Tomintoul is an area famous for the three 'W's: whisky, walking and wildlife.The walking in the local area is superb, with many wonderful low and high level walks on the Glenlivet estate. Tomintoul is also on the Speyside Way, making it a great area for other outdoor activities such as cycling, horse riding and fishing.
Tour Scotland Inverness Youth Hostel. Inverness Youth Hostel. Inverness Youth Hostel is one of Scotland's top Hostels. Our modern and comfortable 4 star Hostel, with superb facilities in the capital of the Highlands, now offers VisitScotland-approved backpacker accommodation at prices you can afford. With a warm welcome and buzzing atmosphere the hostel is popular with guests from all over the world. Small rooms and excellent self-catering kitchens make it popular for groups and families. "Some reckon it's the best Hostel in the country." - Lonely Planet. Tour Inverness, Scotland.
Tour Scotland Inverey Youth Hostel. Inverey Youth Hostel. Inverey Hostel is ideally situated in Royal Deeside in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. This is a good base for walkers and climbers. The Lairig Ghru and the Cairngorms are close, while Corrour Bothy is 10 miles away. Mountain bikes can behired locally. The Linn of Dee is less than a mile away. The National Park has wildcats, red deer, golden eagles and peregrines. This rustic hostel offers a unique experience in wonderful countryside.
Tour Scotland Braemar Youth Hostel. Braemar Youth Hostel. Impressive former shooting lodge in the heart of the Cairngorms National Park. An ideal base for exploring Royal Deeside and the mighty Cairngorms. Great location for skiing and boarding at Glenshee. Good facilities and a warm welcome make this a popular choice. The hostel offers many homely touches, such as big comfy sofas and a pool table in the lounge, picnic benches and barbecue, and probably the best drying room in Scotland!
Tour Scotland Aviemore Youth Hostel. Aviemore Youth Hostel. Superb facilities at this top quality hostel at the gateway of the Cairngorms National Park. Great hostel in summer or winter for outdoor activities, including snowsports, watersports and mountain biking. With small comfortable bedrooms and familyrooms Aviemore Hostel offers great value, self-catering accommodation, 5 minutes from town. It is an ideal location for all your apres-ski activities! Guests enjoy excellent facilities, a bustling nightlife in Aviemore and a wealth of activities during all seasons. "Upmarket Hostelling in a well equipped building" Lonely Planet Scotland.
Hello Sandy, I was wondering if you could help me or if not point me in the right direction. My Great-great grandfather Duncan Breingan was noted as being born at Rottearns, Dunblane, Perth in 1769. I am having difficulty in finding out details of Rottearns. With little or no details available on the internet I have become more curious and would be grateful if you can assist. Yours sincerely, Peter Bringans, Cairns, Australia.
Peter, please contact the The Central Scotland Family History Society was formed in 1990 to serve the needs of those interested in family history who lived in what was then Central Region. This means that as well as the old counties of Clackmannanshire, Stirlingshire and West Perthshire, the Society covers the parishes of Bo'ness and Carriden which were in West Lothian. While of particular value to people whose forebears come from these parishes and from the villages and burghs of Stirlingshire, Clackmannanshire and West Perthshire, the Society, through its links to similar groups in Scotland and elsewhere, can be of service to family historians generally.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Tour Little Dunkeld Churchyard Scotland. On the opposite side of the River Tay, from Dunkeld is the Little Dunkeld Church, with its own 1798 parish church, and churchyard. Little Dunkeld in 1846, a parish, in the county of Perth, adjoining Dunkeld, and containing, with the village of Inver, 2718 inhabitants. This parish, which includes the ancient parish of Laganallachy, is bounded on the north-east by the Tay, and is about sixteen miles in length, and from five to six in extreme breadth, comprising 23,200 acres, of which about 7500 are under cultivation, 3204 woodland and plantations, and the remainder waste. The lands are divided into three districts, Murthly, Strathbran, and the Bishopric, the last so called from having formerly belonged to the ancient see of Dunkeld. The district of Murthly extends from the parish of Kinclaven on the east to the village of Inver, and includes the hill of Birnam. The district of Strathbran extends from Inver to Amulrie on the west, for nearly nine miles, and is watered by the river Bran, from which it takes its name; and the Bishopric stretches from Inver for almost ten miles along the Tay. The surface is strikingly diversified with ranges of hills, of which that of Birnam, on the south, rises in stately grandeur to a considerable elevation, embracing an extensive view of the adjacent country; the hill of Craigvinian, on the western bank of the Tay, also commands some finely-varied prospects. The river Bran has its source in Loch Freuchy, on the southern border of the parish, and in its precipitous and romantic course forms several picturesque cascades; it flows into the Tay nearly opposite the town of Dunkeld. There are also a few lakes, chiefly in the mountain district, all of which abound with excellent trout, and in Loch Skiack are found pike of considerable size. The soil varies extremely in different parts of this extensive parish; in the eastern portions it is generally a rich black loam, and in other districts partly sand and partly gravel. The crops are, barley, bear, and oats, with turnips and potatoes, of which last great quantities are raised, and sent to the London markets, where, from the excellence of their quality, they obtain a decided preference. Considerable numbers of black-cattle are reared in the Highland districts of the parish, and sent to the southern markets; and many sheep, usually of the black-faced breed, are fed by the various tenants. There are extensive woods and plantations in Murthly and the Bishopric; the prevailing trees are, oak, ash, Scotch fir, larch, and plane, with birch and hazel. The coppices of oak are cut down as they successively attain the growth of twenty years, and produce a valuable return by the sale of the bark, in the preparation of which many of the population are employed during the summer months. Great quantities of Scotch fir, also, of large girth, are sent to England for ship-building, and timber for railroads and other purposes. Near Murthly is a quarry of fine freestone, from which was raised the stone for the cathedral of Dunkeld, and more recently, for the erection of the bridge at that place across the Tay; there is likewise a quarry of excellent slate at Birnam hill, which is extensively wrought. The rateable annual value of the parish is £8960.
Tour Newtyle Fishing Beat, River Tay, Dunkeld and Birnam, Perthshire, Scotland. The Newtyle Beat offers quality middle Tay salmon fishing. It consists of a 6 rod lower beat and a 6-rod upper beat, most of which provides double bank fishing. Throughout the beats there are 11 named pools. The Victorian style fishing hut, with its welcoming coal fire, is probably the most picturesque hut on the Tay. Jock Monteith is a highly experienced Scottish salmon fishing guide, or Ghillie, who has more than 35 years experience salmon fishing on the River Tay and many other Scottish salmon rivers. Jock is the Head Ghillie on the Tay's Newtyle fishing Beat.
Newtyle Fishing Beat, River Tay, Dunkeld and Birnam, Perthshire, Scotland.
Newtyle Fishing Beat Hut, Dunkeld and Birnam, Perthshire, Scotland.
Newtyle Fishing Beat, Dunkeld and Birnam, Perthshire, Scotland.
Tuesday, March 25, 2008
Tour St Andrews Cathedral Graveyard, Fife, Scotland. In 1318 St. Andrew's Cathedral was dedicated. It was the largest church in Scotland before the Reformation. On a tour of St Andrews Cathedral you will enjoy the dramatic setting of the St Andrews Cathedral ruins, and the graveyard has a many interesting headstones.
Tour St Andrews Cathedral, Fife, Scotland.
Tour St Rules Tower, St Andrews, Fife, Scotland.
Tour St Andrews, Fife, Scotland, on an Ancestry Tour of Scotland. Best Scottish Tours, Best Scottish Food, Best Scottish Hotels, Small Group Tours of Scotland, Rent a Cottage in Scotland. Golf Scotland.
Monday, March 24, 2008
Tour South Bank River Tay, Scotland. Drove along the South Bank of the River Tay today. A dry day with bright sunshine, but bitterly cold.
Tour South Bank River Tay, Scotland.
Tour South Bank River Tay, Scotland.
Tour South Bank River Tay, Scotland.
Tour Town of Trouts Scotland. Ballinbreich, located on the South bank of the River Tay, not far from Newburgh, is one of the oldest celtic names in Fife and is a corruption of Balan-breac, meaning "town of trouts". This is of course a reference to the salmon to be found there, and even in modern times it has enjoyed the reputation of being a first class fishing station. The original fabric of the castle dates from the 14th century. It consisted then of a small keep set upon the south wall of a great courtyard of oblong shape, with the keep projecting beyond the walls to the South. Previously to the 14th century the Barony of Ballinbreich was held by the ancient family of Abernethy but ten passed through marriage into the hands of the Earls of Rothes. In the sixteenth century alterations and additions were made that gave the castle the outline that can still be seen today. It has been mined for generations and it was when one of the inner walls collapsed that the 14th century masonry work was revealed. The workmanship of the masonry is considered unsurpassed in Scotland. Ballinbreich is situated on private ground and anyone wishing to visit should first gain permission.
Newburgh, in Fife, on the banks of the River Tay, has had a settlement or a village on the present site from a period much earlier than the end of the twelfth century, but it was at this time that the village grew in importance, due to the founding of Lindores Abbey, and was named in a Royal Charter as Newburgh. Until the end of the Eighteenth Century, there were no made up roads in Newburgh, wheeled carriages were seldom seen. The main industries at this time were farming and handloom weaving. In the 1800's there was a boom in municipal building and in the mid 1800s the railway came to Newburgh and the social life of the town grew with no less than thirty five pubs. The harbor was extremely busy, the main employment being salmon and sprat fishing. Forty boats were in service at that time. The village boasted of no less than four schools. 40 years later Newburgh was enjoying a reputation as a holiday resort. Pleasure steamers came from Dundee and many people still remember the town echoing with the noise of holiday makers. After the second world war the pleasure steamers went into decline with the advent of the touring bus and the post war population boom meant that less houses were available as holiday homes. A tradition which started in 1864 is the annual procession of the Caledonian Lodge of Oddfellows. The Oddfellows parade by torchlight through the town, wearing costume, mask and creating merriment by their antics. Rushes are to be found growing all along the banks of the Tay and once they were utilized as roofing material for many of the cottages in Newburgh. Sadly today there remains only one example at 165 High Street.
In the past it was the custom among handloom weavers on marrying to have their initials and a heart cut in the lintel of their door. The Stone to be seen at No. 60 High Street, bears the names of Janet Williamson and Thomas Anderson who was a sea captain, as can be seen on the design. The stone, from which the Bear Tavern takes its name, was originally set into the abbots residence at Lindores Abbey. The 'bear and ragged staff is a device of the Earls of Warwick, and as a crozier or pastoral staff is evident above the now obliterated arms of Warwick, it may he assumed that the stone was caused to be made by Guy, the first Abbot who was a cadet (re brother or son) of that family. The origin of the legend of the bear goes back to the time of Arthur and the round table. One of his knights was Arthgal whose name in the British language was Arsh meaning bear. The ragged staff is attributed to Morvidus, an earl of the same family who slew a giant with a young tree which he had pulled up by the roots. An extract from Westwood's Directory for the counties of Fife and Kinross published 1862. "Newburgh parish forms the boundary of the county at its northwest corner. It is bounded by the River Tay, Abdie, Abernethy, Auchtermuchty and Collessie. The parish enjoys good seaward communication through the port of Newburgh, is traversed by the turnpike road from Cupar to Perth, and has a station on the Perth fork of the E P & D Railway. The main part of the Royal Burgh consists of one long street, a range of houses fronting the harbour, and a number of lanes leading down to the shore. A modern suburb on the south, Mount Pleasant, is in Abdie parish. Both the shops and the principal dwelling houses indicate considerable taste and prosperity on the part of the owners. Its situation on the River Tay is exceedingly pleasant. The town house, with spire, was erected in 1808. The linen trade is the chief employer in the town. Much trade in grain is carried on, with a weekly fair for corn. The harbour consists of a long pier parallel to the river with four jetties at right angles to it. There are twenty vessels belonging to the port, of the aggregate burden of 1256 tons; and one packet is regularly engaged in conveying raw material and manufactured produce between the town and Dundee. The principal exports are lime, grain and potatoes; while coal, timber and other miscellaneous goods form the imports. There is a parish church in the burgh, and also 2 UP Churches. There is a Free Church for Newburgh and Abdie situated in Abdie parish."
Sunday, March 23, 2008
Spent this afternoon visiting Forgandenny Parish Churchyard, Perthshire, Scotland. Forgandenny Parish Church is situated in the Earn Valley within the village of Forgandenny, three miles west of Bridge of Earn. There has been a Christian witness in the parish for more than 1300 years. The present building dates from the mid 1700’s. The graveyard has a many interesting headstones. Within the church are monuments to the Ruthven and Oliphant families, landowners in the old parish.
Saturday, March 22, 2008
Friday, March 21, 2008
Tour Scotland Hill of Credulity. Once known as the Hill of Credulity, this hill is located in Perthshire, Scotland. Do you know where ? The answer is contained within the list below.
A.K. Bell Library, Aberfeldy Distillery, Aberfeldy Water Mill, Abernethy Round Tower, Alyth Museum, Amulree Church, Ardoch, Roman Camp, Atholl Country Life Museum, Auchingarrich Wildlife Centre, Auchterarder Heritage Museum, Balhousie Castle, Balvaird Castle, The Barracks,Falls of Barvick, Beatrix Potter Garden, Bell's Cherrybank Centre, Birks of Aberfeldy, Birnam, Arts and Conference Centre, Birnam Wood, Bishopric, Black Castle of Moulin, Black Spout, Black Watch Monument, Black Watch, Regimental Museum, Blackcraig Forest, Blair Athol Distillery, Blair Atholl Water Mill, Blair Castle, Blairgowrie Golf Course, Branklyn Garden, Bridge of Ross, Burleigh Castle, The Calyx, Camserney Longhouse, Carnbane Castle, Castle Menzies, Cateran , Trail,Clan Donnachaidh Museum, Cleish Castle, Clunie Memorial Arch, Cluny House, Coronation Bridge, Coupar Angus Abbey , Gatehouse, Crieff Hydro, Crieff Visitor's Centre, Devil's Cauldron, Drummond Castle, Drummond Trout Farm and Fishery,Dunfallandy Stone, Dunkeld Cathedral, Dunkeld Cathedral Chapter House Museum, Earthquake House, Edradour Distillery, Elcho Castle, Fair Maid's House, Famous Grouse Experience, Faskally Outdoor Centre, Loch Faskally, Fendoch, Fergusson Gallery, Fingask, Fingask Castle, Fortingall Yew, Fountain, Fowlis Wester Sculptured Stone, Garry Bridge, Giant's Grave, Glasclune Castle, Glendevon Castle, Glendoick House and Gardens, Gleneagles Castle, Gleneagles Hotel, Glenturret Distillery, Greyfriars Cemetery, Hermitage, Huntingtower Castle, Inchtuthill, Innerpeffray Chapel, Innerpeffray Library, Kaims Castle, Killiecrankie Battlefield, Killiecrankie Viaduct, Killiecrankie Visitor Centre, Kinclaven Castle, King James VI Golf Course, Kinnoull Aisle and Monument, Kinross House, Linn of Tummel, Loch Leven Castle, Longforgan Parish Church, Lord John Murray's Stables, Macbeth's Stone, Macrosty Park, The Magazine, Maggie Wall's Monument, McDiarmid Park, Megginch Castle, Meigle Sculptured Stone Museum, The Meigle Sculptured Stones, Meiklelour Beech Hedge, Methven Battlefield, Michael Bruce's Cottage, Milton Wood National Nature Reserve, Moness Burn, Museum of Abernethy, The, Muthill Church, Muthill Old Church and Tower, Ogilvie Castle, Old Church Tower, Old Schoolhouse, Ossian's Grave, Ossian's Hall, Over Benchil Standing Stone, Perth Concert Hall, Perth Mart Visitor Centre, The, Perth Museum and Art Gallery, Perth Racecourse, Perth Repertory Theatre, Pitcur Castle, Pitlochry Festival Theatre, Pitlochry Fish Ladder, Pitlochry Golf Club, Portmoak Airfield, Quarrymill Woodland Park, Queen's Bridge, Queen's View, Rollo Park, Royal Perth Golfing Society, Schiehallion, Scone Battlefield, Scone Palace, Scottish Crannog Centre, The, Scottish Liqueur Centre, Scottish Plant Hunter's Garden, Scottish and Southern Energy Visitor Centre, Skinnergate, Smeaton's Bridge, St Bean's Church, St John's Kirk, St Kattan's Chapel and Mausolea, St Leonards-in-the-Fields & Trinity Church, St Peter's Old Parish Church, St Serf's Church, Stanley Mill, The, Tarmachan Range, Tay Forest Park, Tullibardine Chapel, Tullibole Castle, Tummel Hydro-Electric Power Scheme, Tummel Suspension Bridge, Strath Tummel, Falls of Turret, White Church.
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Tour Kettins Scotland. Kettins, once in Angus, Scotland, is now in Perthshire, Scotland. Kettins Parish Church was designed by William Mitchell, mason in Coupar Angus, built in 1767. Many very interesting gravestones and grave-slabs can be found in Kettins Parish Churchyard, many with tools, hourglasses, skulls and crossbones. Kettins in 1846, a parish, in the county of Forfar; containing, with the villages of Campmuir, Ford of Pitcur, Ley of Hallyburton, and Peatie, 1109 inhabitants, of whom 171 are in the village of Kettins, one mile from Cupar-Angus. This parish is situated principally on the south side of the valley of Strathmore, and on the northern declivity of the Sidlaw hills, and measures in length four miles from east to west, and three from north to south, exclusive of the detached portion called Bandirran, in Perthshire, six miles distant to the south-west. It comprises 8238 acres, of which 6130 are arable, 1579 plantations, 180 uncultivated pasture, and chiefly hilly, and the remainder roads, gardens, &c. The scenery is delightfully picturesque. The whole parish, with slight exceptions, is richly adorned with larch and pine, interspersed with many other trees: and the village of Kettins is pleasantly situated on the banks of a rivulet which, after passing through Cupar-Angus, falls into the Isla, and, being embosomed in wood, forms a striking and beautiful feature of this interesting locality. The soil is generally light and thin, consisting of a dryish black mould, or silicious loam, tolerably fertile, and resting on a loose red tilly or gravelly subsoil; but in many parts the land is wet and spongy; and in others there is a considerable portion of strong red clay. Much has been done in the way of draining; and waste land to some extent, on the hills of Baldowrie, has been reclaimed and brought under cultivation. Great improvements have also taken place in the breed of live stock, promoted by the encouragement of several local agricultural associations. The cattle are of the Angus or polled breed, and the Teeswater, with a few of the Ayrshire, and several crosses. The rocks in the parish are of the old red or grey sandstone, except in the southern quarter, towards the Sidlaw hills, where the substrata are much intermixed with trap; several quarries are in operation, supplying an excellent and durable material for building. The rateable annual value of Kettins is £8524.
The chief mansions are, Hallyburton House, Lintrose, Bandirran, Newhall, and Baldowrie, some of which have grounds handsomely laid out, and are ornamented with fine clusters of wood. The village of Kettins is generally much admired as a picture of neatness, seclusion, and rural simplicity. The cottages, furnished with pleasing gardens, are clustered round a green, the site of rustic sports and pastimes; and in the immediate vicinity are the mansions of Newhall, Beechwood, and Hallyburton, the whole being shrouded among shady and verdant trees, and enlivened by the course of the silvery rivulet. About fifty persons are employed in the weaving of brown linen, and at Borlands is a small bleachfield. The turnpike road from Dundee to Cupar-Angus passes through the parish: the former place and Perth are the markets for the sale of the grain raised here; and potatoes are sent in considerable quantities to London. The Newtyle and Cupar-Angus railway, which is an extension of that between Dundee and Newtyle, also passes through a part of the locality. The parish is in the presbytery of Meigle and Synod of Angus and Mearns, and in the patronage of the Crown; the minister's stipend is £226, with a manse, and a glebe of four acres, valued at £12 per annum. The church was built in 1768. The parochial school affords instruction in the usual branches; the master has a salary of £30, with £32 from other sources, of which £13 are the produce of different bequests for teaching children. Besides several considerable bequests for the benefit of the poor, there is one by the Rev. James Paton, amounting now to £500, for educating one or two girls at the public schools of Dundee. The parish contains the castle of Pitcur, now in ruins, but which once gave the title of baron to the ancient family of Hallyburton, great promoters of the Reformation. At Campmuir are the remains of a camp supposed to be Roman; and at Baldowrie is a Danish monument, six feet high, marked with figures now almost defaced. Prior to the Reformation, the church of Kettins belonged to the Red Friars at Peebles, and had six chapels dependent on it, most of them with small enclosures for burial-places, none of which, however, now remain.
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Tour Tarsappie Scotland. Happened upon this well preserved stone today in Kirkton of Mailler Graveyard, Perthshire, Scotland. Here lies Alexander Low, Tennant in Tarsappie, who died 15th day of January 1775, aged 71 years. Also Thomas Low, who died 1816, aged 76 years. He was tennant in Easter Tarsappie 45 years. Ann Scott, wife of Thomas Low, died 30th July 1886, aged 89 years.
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Films of Aberdeen, Scotland. Located in the North East, the port of Aberdeen is Scotland's third largest city and a base to the offshore oil industry. Also famous for many examples of granite architecture.
Films of Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Situated on the bold and rocky North East coast of Scotland, the area is famous for the Cairngorm Mountains, fertile agricultural land and cattle rearing.
Films of Angus, Scotland. A maritime and agricultural county on Scotland's east coast, immediately north of the Firth of Tay, Angus is an are of archaeological interest. Carnoustie, Monifieth and Montrose are centres for golf.
Films of Argyllshire, Scotland. Argyllshire, a mountainous region on Scotland's west coast, is an area filled with glens and lochs. Towns include Oban, Campeltown and Dunoon. Whisky, forestry and tourism are important industries.
Films of Ayrshire, Scotland. Famous for its cattle and delicious early potatoes, the coastal county of Ayrshire is commonly known as 'Burns Country' after the famous poet. Located about 30 miles south-west of Glasgow, the area attracts tourism and golf.
Films of Banff, Scotland. The market town of Banff is situated at the mouth of the River Deveron, east of Fraserburgh in North East of Scotland. Some 30 distilleries operate here. It is strong in agriculture, boat building, fishing and textiles.
Films of Berwickshire, Scotland. Border county in south east of Scotland. The county town is Duns and there are bays at Eyemouth, Pease and Coldingham. The Tweed is the principal river and the area has a rocky coast. Important industries include paper, woollens and agriculture.
Films of the Scottish Borders. The Borders area in the south of Scotland comprises the counties of Berwick, Peebles, Roxburgh, Selkirk and part of Dumfries. The historic border line runs from Berwick to the Solway. See also under separate counties.
Films of Bute, Scotland. This island in the Firth of Clyde is separated from Argyll by the Kyles of Bute. The Royal Burgh of Rothesay is the chief town and the area is a popular holiday hotspot.
Films of Caithness, Scotland. On the extreme North East of mainland Scotland, this is an area of farming and fishing and is geologically significant. There are air and sea links with the Orkney Islands. The Royal Burghs of Wick and Thurso are chief towns.
Films of Clackmannanshire, Scotland. This was the smallest county in Scotland, incorporating the burghs of Alloa, Alva, Dollar and Tillicoultry. Bordered by Perthshire, Fife, the Firth of Forth and Stirlingshire.
Films of Dumfriesshire, Scotland. This southern county of Scotland is bordered on the south by Cumberland, England and the Solway Firth. There are strengths in agriculture and tweeds, and some coal mining.
Films of Dunbartonshire, Scotland. Located on Scotland's west coast, it has numerous lochs, glens and mountains. Famous for shipbuilding along the Firth of Clyde. Fertile and varied landscape, industries range from bleaching and dyeing to paper and cotton manufacture.
Films of Dundee, Scotland. Scotland's fourth city stands on the east coast, on the Tay Estuary, in the county of Angus. Staple industry was jute, but it is also famous for shipbuilding, confectionery and cash register manufacture, as well as journalism.
Films of East Lothian, Scotland. County in south east Scotland, bounded by the Firth of Forth, the North Sea, Berwickshire and Midlothian. Tourism, recreation and agriculture are important to the area.
Films of Edinburgh, Scotland. The capital of Scotland, standing on a hilly site above the Firth of Forth. A centre for finance, law and the Church, it also is famous for its historical landmarks, political history and International Festival of the Arts.
Films of Fife, Scotland. Peninsular county on the east coast of Scotland. St Andrews and Dunfermline are historic centres, other towns include Glenrothes and Burntisland. Principal industries are agriculture, coal production and electronics.
Films of Glasgow, Scotland. The biggest centre of population in Scotland, located on the River Clyde. Built on industries such as tobacco, shipbuilding, and steel, Glasgow has been extensively redeveloped to take advantage of new technologies and tourism.
Films of the Highlands of Scotland. Lying north west of a line joining Helnsburgh to Stonehaven, including the Grampian Mountains. Mountainous and rugged, with common traditions in crofting, culture and the old clan system.
Films of the Inner Hebrides of Scotland. Islands off the west coast of mainland Scotland, namely Islay, Mull and Skye. Rugged rather than mountainous, with strong links to Gaelic culture and tradition. Sheep and cattle raising, crofting and tourism are popular.
Films of Invernesshire, Scotland. The largest county in Scotland stretching from the Moray Firth to the Atlantic coast. Inverness is a tourist centre and home of the mythical 'Loch Ness Monster'. Agriculture and crofting work with new industries such as hydro-electricity.
Films of Kincardineshire, Scotland. Small county on the east coast of Scotland, it can be divided into four areas: the Coast, the Howe o' Mearns, the Grampians and Deeside. Stonehaven is the main town and the are is famous for fertile land and sporting activities.
Films of Kinrosshire, Scotland. Located between Perth and Fife, this small area includes Loch Leven. Woollen manufacture is abundant. Political links are with Perthshire.
Films of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. A county of south west Scotland, bordered on the south for 50m by the Solway Firth, and elsewhere by Wigtown, Ayr and Dumfries. Sheep and cattle raising common in this area, also popular with tourists.
Films of Lanarkshire, Scotland. Inland county in a rift valley between Glasgow and Edinburgh, Lanarkshire has been a centre of heavy industries such as coal and steel. Main towns are Airdrie, Coatbridge, East Kilbride, Motherwell, Hamilton and Wishaw.
Films of Midlothian, Scotland. Containing the city of Edinburgh, it is a county in the south of Scotland. Strong in agriculture and coal mining. Contains the small burghs of Musselburgh, Penicuik, Dalkeith, Bonnyrigg and Lasswade and Loanhead.
Films of Morayshire, Scotland. Northern county, bounded by the Moray Firth, Banffshire, Inverness-shire and Nairnshire. Elgin, Lossiemouth, Forres and Grantown-on-Spey are the principal towns. Distilling, fishing, forestry and agriculture are the main industries.
Films of Nairn, Scotland. A small maritime county in the north east of Scotland bordered by the Moray Firth, Inverness-shire and Moray. Home to Cawdor and Kilravock Castles and popular as a holiday resort. Agriculture and fishing are the principal industries.
Films of Orkney Islands, Scotland. A group of 67 islands separated from Caithness (northern Scottish mainland) by the Pentland Firth. Farming, particularly dairy, is the main industry. Archaeological remains abound and there are historical links with Scandinavia.
Films of The Outer Hebrides of Scotland. Western Isles full of sandy shores and lochs, running from Lewis and Harris to the Uists St. Kilda (Atlantic Ocean). Industries include crofting, fishing and traditional tweed making. Gaelic traditions and religious belief strongly expressed.
Films of Peebles-shire, Scotland. Rolling hills and valleys characterise this southern county of Scotland, bounded by Midlothian, Selkirkshire, Dumfriesshire and Lanarkshire. Peebles and Innerleithen are the main towns and the area is famed for textiles, forestry and salmon fishing.
Films of Perth and Perthshire, Scotland. Located almost in the centre of Scotland, Perthshire is rich in lochs and rivers. Perth itself is well known for prize cattle, whisly blending, weaving, printing and light engineering. Forests populated by deer and rivers with salmon attract attention.
Films of Renfrewshire, Scotland. Renfrew, Paisley, Greenock and Port Glasgow are the major centres of population in this area of West Central Scotland. Farming, motors and engineering being the principal industries.
Films of Ross-shire, Scotland. Located in north west Scotland, with Sutherland (north) and Inverness (south) and including the Isle of Lewis. The Dornoch and Cromarty Firths provide harbours and there are many lochs the scenery is beautiful. Towns include Dingwall and Ullapool.
Films of Roxburghshire, Scotland. Border county surrounded by Berwickshire, Northumberland, Cumberland, Dumfriesshire, Selkirk and Midlothian. There are four burghs: Hawick, Kelso, Jedburgh and Melrose. An area rich in history and with textile crafts being a major industry.
Films of Selkirkshire, Scotland. Ancient area in the central borders, famous for the literary and political figure Sir Walter Scott and textile crafts. Fishing and forestry are important and the main towns are Selkirk and Galashiels.
Films of the Shetland Islands, Scotland. Group of about 100 islands about 50 miles north of the Orkney Islands. Major industries include fishing, agriculture and knitting. Famed for its birdlife, amazing coastal scenery and angling, Shetland also attracts tourism. Strong Norse connections.
Films of Stirlingshire, Scotland. A north central midland county. Stirling town us situated on a rocky hill crowned by the castle, one of the chief residences of the Stewart kings. Agriculture, cattle rearing and dairy production are important, as well as engineering and pharmaceuticals.
Films of Sutherland, Scotland. An area of moor and mountain in the north and north west of Scotland, it is an area of barren beauty and scarcely populated. Sheep farming is the principal industry. Dornoch, Golspie, Rogart, Brora and Helmsdale are the main towns.
Films of West Lothian, Scotland. Bordered on the east by Midlothian and the west by Lanark and Stirling, this central county has among its centres of population Bathgate, Bo'ness, Livingstone and historic Linlithgow. Developing new industries, motorways and engineering are important.
Films of Wigtownshire, Scotland. Maritime county in south west Scotland bounded by the Irish Sea, Ayrshire and Kirkcudbrightshire. Characterised by stony moors and rocky hills. Dairy farming, woollen mills and engineering works. Main centres are Stranraer, Wigtown and Whithorn.
The Scottish Screen Archive is Scotland's national moving images collection. It preserves over 100 years of Scottish history on film and video.
Hi Sandy, Thank you for coming to Coupar Angus on Sat.15th March. This is the 3rd year of the Horse Fair and it brings the community together. A great day was had by all. Hope to see you next year. Ann
Scottish Horse Fair Market.
Scottish Horse Fair Juggling.
Scottish Horse Fair Dancing.
Monday, March 17, 2008
Tour Coupar Angus Churchyard Scotland. Coupar Angus Abbey Churchyard is on the Dundee Road in Coupar Angus, Perthshire, Scotland. The 18th century restored church was replaced by the present Victorian church in 1859, built to the design of local architect John Carver. By 1886, there were a number of other churches, including the Free Church, United Presbyterian, Evangelical Union, Original Session and the Episcopalians. Welcome to Coupar Angus.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Highland Dancing this March weekend at Coupar Angus which is a small market town on the River Isla, located in the centre of the rich agricultural land of eastern lowland Perthshire, Scotland.
Attended a spring gala celebration this weekend in Coupar Angus. This market town used to have a historic horse market, and many horse shows that continued until the 1950s. Coupar Angus Horse Fair Parade, Perthshire, Scotland.
Saturday, March 15, 2008
Tour Coupar Angus Cistercian Abbey Scotland. By the middle of the sixteenth century, Coupar Angus had become the wealthiest of the Cistercian monasteries in Scotland. According to the Books of Assumptions of thirds of benefices, which was begun in 1561, the abbey had an annual income of £5,590. Part of this income was derived from the wool trade. The community traded with continental Europe, buying locally and exporting via Perth. According to one seventeenth-century writer, the abbey was attacked and burned by a group of Reformers, probably c. 1559. The last abbot, Donald Campbell, died between December 1562 and January 1563 and the property was granted to Leonard Leslie two years later. The abbey was erected into a temporal lordship for James Elphinstone, son of the James Elphinstone who had been granted the estates of Balmerino three years earlier. James Elphinstone, the younger, was given the title of Lord Coupar. It is thought that following the Reformation the church remained partly in use by the parish while the monastic buildings were used as dwelling houses for the commendator and those monks who chose to remain. However, in or around 1622 the buildings were described as ruinous and it is unclear whether they were still in occupation. After the death of Lord Coupar in 1669 the monastery was used as a source of building materials, and much of the stone was incorporated into the town that grew up around the precinct. A new church was built in 1686, and is thought to occupy the site of the old abbey church. The present church, on the same site, dates from about 1859. The only upstanding fragment of the abbey is the gatehouse but there are many carved and moulded stones around the existing church. The site is on the south side of the town of Coupar Angus and the remains can be found to the south-east of the church.
Friday, March 14, 2008
Thursday, March 13, 2008
Cold with bright sunny spells today in Scotland. Toured Abernyte Churchyard, near Inchture, Perthshire, Scotland. Lots of interesting gravestones, Parish Church and Manse.
Hi Sandy, I realise your business is Scottish tourism, but wondered if you have ever undertaken ancestral searches around your home region. I have 'hit a wall' with both my great granfather and great great grandfather. I have all details of my great grandfather, Dudley Paisley Moncrieffe except his date and place of birth, stated by him as Edinburgh. His father according to Dudley's marriage certificate, married in Bristol, was James Moncrieffe, a Doctor, who could have been born anytime between 1790 and 1825. Scottish records have no information on either of them but most Moncrieffe's, with our spelling variation, seem to originate from the villages in Fife. There is just a chance that you have seen a headstone for James Moncrieffe in a cemetry during your tours. Sorry to trouble you, Best regards, Chris Moncrieffe.
Thanks for your information Chris, although I haven't come across a James Moncrieffe gravestone as yet, perhaps a visitor to this Scottish Blog might have a photo or information.
Hi Sandy, I found two books in the church library by Michael Phillips about the history of Scotland from the time when it was still named Caledonia. I brought the first one home, "The Legend of the Celtic Stone"; it's a novel too, so should be interesting. Here's a quote: "Scotland is a domain of our earth that cannot be visited, the Scots are a people that cannot be known, theirs is a heritage that cannot be discovered without a change occurring inside, something mystical, a pinprick into the soul, or it may be the piercing of a razor-tip point of the Highland knife called a sgian-dubh imparting a mysterious sense that a little piece of this place is yours too."
Love it! Take care, Arlene. The Legend of the Celtic Stone. Legend of the Celtic Stone (Caledonia Series, Book 1).
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
A beautiful sunny March morning by the River Tay at Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. This view was taken from Kinnoull Cemetery, opposite Tay Street and The Fergusson Gallery.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Tour Old Scone Parish Church, Scotland. A wet and windy day here in Scotland. Still, there is always something to do and see indoors, and since I had never been inside this church before, it was a good day to check out the interior. Old Scone Parish Church Interior, Perthshire, Scotland. The original Church was built in 1286 near to Scone Palace. Moved to present site in 1806 using stone from original building.
Saturday, March 08, 2008
Tour May Island Scotland. A view of the May Island from the coastline at Cellardyke, East Neuk of Fife, Scotland. The first human settlers arrived in Fife about eight thousand years ago and made good use of the May Island for fishing and seal hunting, the earliest find of human activity that has so far been found on the Isle is a piece of pottery dated 2,000 B C, ancient flint arrow heads have also been found. It seems that long before Christianity the island had some religious significance, this serene austere island certainly lends it self to peaceful thoughts , place names around the island are reminders of its religious history,such as Kirkhaven, Alterstanes, the Angel, and the Pilgrim. It is thought that the island name comes from the Norsemen who called the island Maa Oy, which is norse for gull island. Isle of May Lighthouse. The island now serves as an important research centre for breeding seabirds, such as puffins, guillemots and razorbills.
Tour Hallowed Scotland. Those who visit Iona are all pilgrims in their own way. Such a grip does this island take of the human heart and mind, that one must set eyes upon, and feel, the rough, weathered texture of its ancient stones; one must enter the abbey and hear the silence of the centuries, on which is borne the voices of the pious and the wicked, of kings and peasants. These are the rocks on which the Celtic Church in Scotland was founded, and from which many movements in Scottish history have taken root. This is a special place, and to set foot on it is, for most, a special occasion.
Friday, March 07, 2008
Tour Corrieshalloch Gorge Scotland. As you leave the treeless wilderness of the Dirrie More, and head into the wooded shelter of the strath that contains Loch Broom and Ullapool, a sign announces the approach of Corrieshalloch Gorge. This spectacular natural chasm is well worth a visit.
Thursday, March 06, 2008
Robert Louis Stevenson and Treasure Island. On a wet day in the summer of 1881, a carriage made the bleak journey through wild Glenshee to Braemar. In it were a young writer in ill-health and his family, hoping to escape the rain that through June and July had confined them to a small cottage in Pitlochry. The rain came with them. Without the rain Treasure Island might never have been written.
Tour Clachan Bridge, Scotland. Clachan Bridge, stretches from the mainland of Scotland to the island of Seil, crossing the seventy feet wide tidal straits of Clachan Sound.
Tour Newburn Scotland. The ruined Old Parish Church of Newburn, Fife, Scotland. Newburn Parish History. The Parish of Newburn lies between the parishes of Largo and Kilconquhar, and on the south it skirts Largo Bay for more than a mile and a half. It contains 3222 ½ acres, including nearly 179 acres of foreshore. In writing the old Statistical Account in 1795, Mr Laurie waxed eloquent in describing the advantages of his parish:- "The luxuriant turnip-crops in this district in favourable seasons might arrest the attention of the traveller, who has visited more fortunate climes. . . . This situation has been long admired for variegated scenery and an extensive view. The scene now before me, consisting of woods and waters, and hills and dales, is such as the writer of romance might have delighted to feign." At that time Mr Laurie had only been minister of the parish for two years; but, as the seasons rolled on, he never lost his first love. He also wrote the New Statistical Account, forty-one years later, and again he extolled its fertility and beauty in almost the same words.
The Name, according to Dr Laurie, for he was dubbed D.D. in 1810, was Drumeldry in ancient times. "At a period less remote," he says, "that of Newburn was assigned to it; probably from the circumstance of a small rivulet, which runs through a considerable part of the parish, having changed its course." With commendable caution, he adds that, "Etymology, however, is often fanciful and fabulous." But Newburn, or rather Nithbren, was the name of the parish at least six centuries and a half ago.
The Old Parish Church is a most interesting though roofless ruin. Some parts of the walls are so covered by ivy that the building is completely hid, and the marks of the root-lets can be traced on the inside, though the plants have been extirpated. Internally, it is about 55 feet in length, but at the east end it is only 12 feet 4 inches in width. This gives it a remarkably narrow appearance. At the west end it is about 15 feet wide, and on the north side there is a little aisle. On the south side there are two porches; but one of these, at least, is much more modern than the church. Both gables seem to have been heightened in later times. That the east end of the church is pre-Reformation is unmistakably shown by the piscina and aumrie, which have been allowed to remain. It may be part of the original structure, which was dedicated by Bishop Bernham in 1243, although the moulding round the aumrie appears to be of fourteenth century workmanship. On the north side there is another building, which may have been erected as a session-house at a much more recent period. There are few gravestones of any interest in the surrounding burying-ground, although it must have been used for many long centuries, and the soil is much raised round the walls of the church. Among the more eminent men who have ministered to the parish must be reckoned John Dyks, who came from Kilrenny in 1605, and returned to it in 1610; Ephraim, son of James Melville; the two George Hamiltons; and Archibald Bonar.
The New Parish Church, which is nearly half-a-mile further west, is more central for the parishioners, and was built in 1815. The stipend in 1795, Mr Laurie complained, was only about £80; but, in 1836, he was able to state that it was nearly £200.
Balchristie, which is close to the eastern side of the parish, and only a mile to the south-west of Colinsburgh, cannot be called a village now. Malcolm Canmore and St Margaret gave the village of Balchristie to the Culdees of Loch-Leven eight hundred years ago. Last century the proprietor "dug up the foundation-stones of an old edifice near the western wall of his garden, and in the very place where, according to the best accounts, the church of the Culdees stood." Mr Laurie was told that "this was the first Christian church in Scotland," and he appears to have thought that the tradition was not baseless; but the more matter-of-fact people of the present day will soon set aside its claims to such antiquity. Ecclesiastical associations of a more recent date are also connected with this place. James Smith - "a well-favoured person, of good manners, unquestionable piety, and good report; of a tender holy walk, and sweet natural temper; zealous and prudent, with a good stock of learning " - having adopted Independent views of church-government, resigned his charge of the parish, after thirty-three years' faithful service, and, with Robert Ferrier of Largo, started a meeting-house at Balchristie. In 1795, Laurie says:- "It has been often remarked, that Newburn, for many years past, has been a nursery of Seceders; and remarked with surprise, that a small arm of the sea should be the boundary between moderation and fanaticism.
Cameronians, Independents, persons belonging to the Burgher Congregation, and also to what is called the Relief Congregation, are to be found here. The number of Independents is about 20. They are the only sect who have a place of meeting for public worship in the parish." In spite of their dissenting propensities the parishioners were sober, regular, industrious, and humane, and their diversity of sentiments did not prevent social intercourse nor mutual good offices. The Seceders had not increased of late, and one of the Relief elders had returned to the Established Church; and so, to Mr Laurie, "rational religion" seemed to be gaining ground, and he fondly hoped that "the small remainder of enthusiasm" would most probably die with those who cherished it. His hopes were so far realised, in 1836, that the Independent Congregation had removed their place of meeting to Earlsferry, their church at Balchristie being turned into a granary, and there were only three. dissenting families in the whole parish.
The village of Drumeldrie is near the western confines of the parish, being about a mile due west from Balchristie. In 1659, John Wood, by a mortification of money and lands, provided for the erection of a Grammar-School at Drumeldrie, a master's salary, and the maintenance of four poor scholars. The Hospital at Largo was provided for at the same time. Both mortifications were ratified by Parliament in 1661. The administrators were to increase the number of pensioners as the funds would permit, according to Wood's intentions. The Population of the parish in 1755 was 438; in 1794, it was 456 ; in 1821, it was 398; and in 1881, it was only 344. The Valuation of the parish in 1855-6 was £5260 10s; and in 1885-6 it is £4739 13s 8d.