Lundie Church, Scotland. Adam Duncan, 1st Viscount Camperdown is one of the famous folks born in Lundie. Born at Lundie, Angus on July l, 1731, his father was a merchant and Provost of Dundee. Duncan entered the navy in 1746. He was present at the actions of the Basque Roads in 1757, Goree in 1758, the blockade of Brest in 1759 and commanded HMS Valiant at Havana in 1762. After his return to Great Britain, he saw no further active service until 1778, when he was appointed to HMS Suffolk. In 1782 he became first lord of the Admiralty, and in the Blenheim took part in the relief of Gibraltar. In 1795, promoted admiral, he hoisted his flag on the Venerable as commander-in-chief in the North Sea. On October 11, 1797, he obtained a decisive victory over the Dutch fleet off the village of Camperdown, for which he is rightly famous. Earlier, Duncan had blockaded the Dutch at the Texel with only the Venerable, Adamant, and three small vessels, while 95 enemy ships lay inside the port. This blockade was a triumph of audacity and courage. By confusing signals and changing flags he made the Dutch admiral, De Winter, believe that a great fleet was in the distance. In September the Dutch gave up the idea of embarking troops, and Duncan was driven home by storms to Yarmouth to refit.
On October 7, De Winter's fleet came out and stood along the Dutch coast towards the Maas. Duncan hastened to sea with 16 ships of the line and went over to the Texel to get in the line of the Dutchmen's possible retreat. The enemy were sighted on the morning of October 11 and the signal was hoisted that the fleet should head towards them in a line of bearing, each ship engaging an enemy. The signals were obscured and not well understood, and subsequent signals did not bring the fleet into formal order. The Dutch were drifting slowly towards the shallows and the wind was driving straight on shore in dark and rainy weather. With fine tactical insight, at about a quarter to twelve in the day, Duncan signalled the whole fleet to close the Dutch line, push through its gaps, and engage to leeward, i.e. to pass through between the Dutchmen and the shore. It was a bold step, for the coast was not far distant.
Vice-admiral Onslow attacked the Dutch rear. Duncan himself passed through the line, firing both broadsides, in the thick of the battle and fighting against odds. The Venerable, Duncan's flagship, was hulled by 45 shot between wind and water, and became almost unmanageable. For an hour the situation was extremely critical, but Onslow, who had by this time smashed the Dutch rear, came to Duncan's aid in the centre, where the Dutch ships were beaten to surrender, and the victory was decisive, destroying the Dutch navy. Nine of the enemy ships sank, others fled, and most of those that escaped were severely damaged. An end was put to Dutch hopes of invading England.
For his great victory, he was awarded a pension of £2,000 and created Baron Duncan of Lundie and Viscount Duncan of Camperdown. His son, made Earl of Camperdown in 1831, was responsible for the splendid mansion now in Camperdown Park in the city was named in honour of his success in that battle. Duncan died suddenly August 4, 1804. He is buried in Lundie Churchyard.
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Monday, January 29, 2007
Madderty Parish Church, Perthshire, Scotland, is a simple stone building standing on a knoll among fields and pasture. This church was built from the stones of Inchaffrey Abbey about half a mile away.
Cupar Mercat Cross, Fife, Scotland, once stood on Fluthers hill but was returned to its proper place outside the Town Hall to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations in 1897.
The town of Cupar, in Fife, Scotland, is one of the oldest burghs in Scotland and although the earliest known charter dates back to 1382, it was certainly a prominent burgh long before then.
Methven Church, Methven, Perthshire, Scotland. Deeply affected by the death of his wife, Thomas Graham, Lord Lynedoch, commissioned a mausoluem to her memory in the kirk yard at Methven, Perthshire. This gave the architect James Playfair, a chance to put to practice his most advanced ideas and the resultant design in the form of a gigantic sarcophagus is truly amazing for its period. After a long life Lord Lynedoch joined his wife in her last resting place in 1848.
Cleish Church, Perthshire, Scotland, was first built in the early 13th Century, was redesigned in 1775 by the architect John Adam of Blairadam. In 1832 it was totally rebuilt after a fire and the tower was added in 1897 to celebrate the jubilee of Queen Victoria. The churchyard contains the remains of a 9th century cross slab, an almshouse and sanctuary crosses. The parish minister, Rev. W. Wallace Duncan, whose wife wrote the hymn "Jesus, tender shepherd, hear me" is buried in the churchyard.
Friday, January 26, 2007
You can see a memorial to the famous Scottish botanist, David Douglas in the graveyard at Scone Old Parish Churchyard, Scone, Perthshire, Scotland.
David Douglas was one of the most important botanical collectors there has ever been. Thanks to his heroic and often unimaginably arduous explorations, during which he collected and discovered over 200 species, our forests and gardens are immeasurably richer. Not only is the Douglas fir named after him, but also many of our most established conifers, like the Sitka spruce, Grand and Noble firs and the Monterey pine were introduced to Britain by him. Modern-day suburban gardens would be without the flowering currant, lupin, penstemon, alpines, lilies and primroses had Douglas not travelled so widely. He grew up on the Scone Estate near Perth, studied at the Botanical Gardens in Glasgow under William Hooker, the greatest botanist of the nineteenth century, and then made his name through his remarkable excursions to western Canada, once walking nearly 10,000 miles between the Pacific coast and Hudson Bay. His premature death at just 35 was in keeping with the rest of his life, falling into a wild-animal trap in Hawaii. The Tree Collector: The Life and Explorations of David Douglas.
The North Inch parkland in Perth, Scotland, is a pleasant green space in the heart of the city where walkers can enjoy open views of the River Tay. North Inch was also the location for an event in Scottish History known as The Battle Of The Clans.
Thursday, January 25, 2007
January is not the best month to tour Scotland. Almost any kind of weather conditions can be expected. It will certainly be quite cool, with long shadows, and short days of daylight. There are days in January that are beautiful, with incredibly bright sunshine, and even mild temperatures for an hour or two. My latest tour Scotland photo album will you give some idea of Scotland in January.
Wednesday, January 24, 2007
I absolutely love my Scottish Haggis. I really do ! So, if you're on tour with me and you try some, and don't like it, pass it across the table to me. Here's a wee recipe for authentic Haggis taken from "Traditional Scots Recipes" by Janet Murray.
Alloway is situated a little to the south of Ayr and is famous as the birthplace, on January 25th, 1759, of Robert Burns, the great Scottish poet. The cottage in which he was born has been preserved, and adjoining it is the Burns museum, housing various personal relics. The poet’s father is buried in front of the roofless, haunted, Alloway Kirk, and across the street stands the Burns Monument, containing, among other objects, Bibles belonging to Burns and his “Highland Mary.” Spanning the River Doon, in a delightful setting, is the well-known “Auld Brig,” associated with Tam o’ Shanter, and dating back perhaps to the 13th century. Brown Carrick Hill, to the south-west, is a notable viewpoint. Tour Ayrshire.
Posted by Sandy Stevenson at 10:08 PM
Tam o' Shanter might never have been written if Robert Burns had not met Captain Grose who was in Scotland collecting material for his forthcoming book, The Antiquities of Scotland. Burns took to this fat, jovial man and asked him to include a sketch of Alloway Kirk, where Burns father was buried, in the publication. Grose, who was interested in the supernatural, agreed but on condition that Burns pen a story on witches. The result was Tam o'Shanter which was reputedly written in one afternoon on the banks of the river Nith. Tam O'Shanter.
Some of songs of Robert Burns have been set to music by the great composers. The most notable is "O Wert Thou in the Cauld Blast" The tune was composed by Felix Mendelsohn, but add to that Robert Schumann, Haydn, Shostakovich, Beethoven, Bruch and Benjamin Britten plus many more and you begin to see the contribution that Burns has made to music. Scottish Folk Music.
Robert Burns had 12 children of whom 9 were to Jean Armour. Of the other three, the first, Dear Bought Bess, was to Elizabeth Paton, and was brought up by Burns mother. She returned to her own mother after Burns died. The second was a son to Jenny Clow. Burns was willing to take him into his home but Jenny would not part with him. The third was to Anna Park. Jean Armour brought up the child, Elizabeth, as one of her own family. Biography of Robert Burns.
The North Bank of Loch Tay, and a wee break in the clouds showing snow on the mountains. Loch Tay, Gaelic Loch Tatha, is a long loch in the central Highlands of Scotland, running southwest to northeast from Killin to Kenmore, and overlooked by Ben Lawers. Its irregular shape is due to displacement of the central part along the Loch Tay geological fault.
Visited good friends of mine today in Aberfeldy, Perthshire, Scotland. The Quaich Coffee Shop is situated in the heart of Aberfeldy in Highland Perthshire. Deirdre and Alan invite you to visit their coffee shop just along from the village square. Relax in a pleasant, friendly atmosphere and enjoy a soothing cup of coffee or tea, satisfy your hunger pangs with a snack or light meal or indulge yourself with one of the many cakes on display, while having a chat, reading a paper or just taking the weight off your feet and watching the world go by. The Quaich Coffee Shop. Tour Aberfeldy on a small group tour of Scotland.
A windy, but sunny, day at Tullibardine Chapel, Perthshire, Scotland. One of the most complete and unaltered small medieval churches in Scotland, built in 1446 and rebuilt in 1500.
Monday, January 22, 2007
A very cold, but clear day, here in Scotland. The paths down to the river were very frosty and extremely slippy. This view of Perth is from the South, showing the River Tay which flows through Perth.
St Leonard's in the fields and Trinity Church, Perth, Perthshire, Scotland. Church of Scotland. Fine example of the late Gothic revival, opened in 1885. Outstanding architectural features are the crown tower and the heavy buttresses.
Saturday, January 20, 2007
A single track road is one where traffic in both directions has to share a single lane that is only wide enough for one vehicle at a time. The road in this wee Scottish video is in Perthshire, Scotland.
Muthill Parish Church, Perthshire, Scotland. Built in 1826 in Gothic style to a design by Gillespie Graham, nicknamed Pinnacle Graham by those less enthusiastic for his 19th century Gothic style.
There is a famous cave at the foot of Schiehallion Mountain in Scotland, where, tradition has it, fairies loved to dwell. There, it is said mortals from time to time dwelt among them, and interesting stories are told of the strange ways in which they were rescued from their power. Behind Schiehallion, again, on Creag Chionneachan, is one of the spots where the old Fingalian warriors were supposed to lie on their elbows awaiting the third blast of the horn that is to raise them to life again.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Bob Dylan has bought this Scottish mansion. The music legend and his brother, David Zimmerman, have purchased Aultmore House, an Edwardian highland hideaway. Aultmore House must be one of the finest houses in the Scottish Highlands. In an area of outstanding beauty renowned for its mountainous scenery, its broad rivers and attractive moorland, Aultmore has breathtaking views from every aspect and is surrounded by charming grounds including a range of formal terraces with lawns and stone features, two gazebos and a grotto. Internally the quality of workmanship is reflected in the elegant lines, pillars and arches with elaborate cornices and magnificent Adam style marble fireplaces. From the moment you step into the house you are stirred by a sense of space and grandeur, with beautiful wooden floors and large windows flooding the place with light. This sumptuous elegance was used in two episodes of the BBC TV drama "Monarch of the Glen". Monarch Of The Glen - Series 1-7.
Forter Castle is a 16th Century "L-plan" fortified tower house which has been fully restored with incredible attention to detail an d presented with exceptional style and qualities. Like most tower houses it is based on a vaulted ground floor with a stone turnpike staircase leading to a first floor great hall and on to second and third floor chambers divided to provide bedroom and bathroom accommodation. Knight Frank.
Thursday, January 18, 2007
During the first two visitations of Cholera, there were no cases in Pittenweem, though the disease was in the neighbouring towns of St. Monans and Anstruther. On another outbreak, the only case was that of a man was taken ill at St Andrews, and came home to Pittenweem, and died there.
Pittenweem may sink with sin;
But neither sword or pestilence
Shall enter therein.
The inhabitants of Iona have a belief that the shrine of St. Columba will yet be restored to its ancient, desolate glory, and, in support of the notion, quote no less credible authority than that of Columba himself, expressed in the following lines:
In Iona of my heart, Iona of my love,
Instead of the voice of monks, shall be the lowing of cattle;
But ere the world come to an end,
Iona shall be as it was.
Relive the final days of the Port Road when people lined the route six-deep to wave the last service goodbye. The various branch lines of this vast area are also covered and the 55 photographs, all taken by the author, are accompanied by detailed captions. Steam engines feature throughout, working at locations including Beattock, the Beattock Bank, Beattock Summit, Canonbie, Castle Douglas, Creetown, Crossmichael, Dalbeattie, Dumfries, Dunragit, Elvanfoot, Gatehouse of Fleet, Greskine, Harthope, Kirkconnel, Kirkinner, Kirkcudbright, Loch Skerrow, Lockerbie, Moffat, Nethercleugh, Parton, Sanquhar and Stranraer. Dumfries and Galloway's Last Days of Steam.
Old Newton Stewart. As well as the streets and buildings of Newton Stewart, Creebridge and Minnigaff, this book contains pictures of events such as the acrimonious Creebridge Eviction, a church dispute of the early twentieth century, curling and skating on the River Cree during the freeze of February 1895, a visit by an aircraft to the town in 1913, and a floral fete featuring magnificently decorated bicycles. There's a picture of the aftermath of the train crash of February 1910, as well as the station, and a local bus, during more run-of-the-mill times. Nearby Blackcraig, where lead mining was established in the late eighteenth century, is featured too, along with Palnure, where boats transporting lead ore were moored. Old Newton Stewart.
Dupplin Castle in winter. Dupplin Castle was the seat of the Earl of Kinnoull, the sole heritor, and was accidentally burnt on the 11th of September, 1827, and the new building as seen above was erected on the same site, and completed about the year 1832, in the Elizabethan style.
A winters morning at Forteviot, Perthshire, Scotland. Forteviot Church of St Andrew. Forteviot was the site of an important Pictish settlement in the reign of King Oengus. Legend has it that the first Christian Church at Forteviot was built in response to the visit of Kilrymont (St. Andrews) monks to the valley during the eighth century. The present building, shown above, was erected in 1778.
Even when the weather is bad in Scotland, there is still much to photograph; if you keep your eyes open as you walk down Scottish Streets. In the past it was the custom among handloom weavers in Newburgh, Fife, Scotland, on marrying to have their initials and a heart cut in the lintel of their door. The Stone to be seen at No. 60 High Street, bears the names of Janet Williamson and Thomas Anderson who was a sea captain, as can be seen on the design.
I took this today, photo during the late afternoon sunshine. This Scottish sundial in Perthshire, Scotland, is an unusual and interesting feature situated on the right side of the entrance into the church at Stormontfield. It is inscribed with the words: "Tak tent o' time ere time be tint, for time will no remain."
St Davids Chapel, Stormontfield, Perthshire, Scotland. As to the building itself, one may safely say that it is one of the most beautiful little churches in the country. It's design may be described as early English. The design, it should be added is due to Mr Mackenzie of Stormontfield a gentleman of no mean artistic instincts.
Forgandenny Parish Church lies about two miles from Forteviot, Perthshire, Scotland, the ancient residence of the Pictish Kings. There has been a church here since early times. This wee video was taken in January 2007.
A dull January morning at Dron Parish Church, Perthshire, Scotland. Dron Parish Church and churchyard, south of Bridge of Earn, Perthshire, Scotland. This church is no longer used.
Wednesday, January 17, 2007
The Peter Pan Statue in Kirriemuir, Scotland. The town of Kirriemuir is well known as the birthplace of J. M. Barrie, the creator of Peter Pan, who also immortalised Kirriemuir in his book A Window in Thrums.
Barrie was a Scottish playwright and novelist. He is best remembered for his play Peter Pan, a supernatural fantasy about a boy who refused to grow up. The son of a weaver, Barrie studied at the University of Edinburgh. He took up journalism, worked for a Nottingham newspaper, and contributed to various London journals before moving to London in 1885. His early works, Auld Licht Idylls (1889) and A Window in Thrums (1889), contain fictional sketches of Scottish life. The publication of The Little Minister (1891) established his reputation as a novelist. During the next 10 years Barrie continued writing novels, but gradually his interest turned toward the theater From 1930 until his death he was chancellor of the University of Edinburgh. A Window in Thrums.
All aspects of Islay island life are covered here: there's a plane on the Strand; peat being carried home in a horse-drawn cart; the distilleries at Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Bowmore, Lagavulin and Ardbeg; the cattle show; and pictures of steamers berthed at Port Ellen. Other photographs show Port Wemyss, Portnahaven, Port Charlotte, Conisby, Kilchoman, Islay House, Port Askaig, Bridgend, Port Ellen and the sheiling at Claggan Bay. Old Islay. Tour Islay.
Work on the Crinan Canal commenced in 1794 but the project was beset by financial and engineering problems and quickly had to be baled out by the Government. After this uncertain start the structural difficulties were addressed and traffic levels gradually increased. In 1847 Queen Victoria travelled along the canal on her way to a holiday in the Highlands, and following her patronage it became part of what tourist promoters billed as 'The Royal Route'. The short but scenic canal has been popular with tourists ever since, and as commercial traffic dwindled in the first half of the twentieth century yachts and pleasure cruisers replaced fishing boats and puffers. The route of the canal from Crinan to Ardrishaig is illustrated in a collection of pictures that feature both canal life and some of the small communities that once lay alongside it. Crinan Canal - the Shipping Short Cut.
Oban and the Land of Lorn in three sections. Part one, Inverary to Port Appin, includes Dalmally, Stronmilichan, Lochawe, Taynuilt, Bonawe and the Lorn Furnace, the nearby granite quarries, Ardchattan Priory, Benderloch, Ledaig, Lochnell Castle, Eriska, Barcaldine Castle, Creagan Bridge, Tynribbie, Castle Stalker, Port Appin and a glimpse of Lismore. Part two is entitled, Oban, Glen Nant, Ford, and features a wide range of pictures of the town of Oban, Scotland, and its maritime and commercial activities; sheep arriving on the quayside en route to market, the partly submerged hulk of PS Grenadier alongside the North Pier, and Henry Scrivens' famous photography studio, the full story of Scrivens' life and work in Oban is told at the beginning of the book. Dunollie Castle, Ganavan Sands, Dunstaffnage, Connel, Achnacloich, Tailor's Leap, Taychreggan, Portsonachan and Ford also feature. Section three is entitled Oban to Dunadd and begins with pictures of Oban's South Pier and Lighthouse Pier, before continuing southwards to the Slate Islands of Kerrera, Seil, Easdale and Luing. Mainland locations on the road to Melfort are also included. This book is much more than just a collection of pictures of Lorn locations, the area's agricultural, industrial and maritime history is covered too, along with transport by road, rail and water, and the story of the establishment of this part of the Highlands as a Victorian tourist Mecca. Oban and the Land of Lorn. Tour Oban.
At the height of the railway era, the Scottish Highlands had a total of 183 railway stations, serving some of the most remote parts of the United Kingdom. Road transport was virtually non-existent and, if it didn't have one already, every village wanted its own station. Today there are just sixty-eight left to cover this vast area, but unlike other parts of the country, the prospects are good for an upturn in railway use. Some stations have been reopened and, just as they were a hundred years ago, railways continue to be a major lifeline for the economies of Caithness and Sutherland. This collection of fifty-two period photographs, ranging from the 1880s through to the 1960s and accompanied by a line-by-line history, recalls many past sights and locations featured include: Banavie, Roy Bridge, Clachnaharry, Oban, Tomatin, Aviemore, Ballachulish, Kentallan, Duror, Craegan, Benderloch, Campbeltown, Kilkerran, Machrihanish, Skelbo, Boat of Garten, Fort Augustus, Fort George, Fortrose, Avoch, Munlochy, Fort William, Inverness, Lybster, Strathpeffer, Kincraig, Gollanfield, Loch Awe, Helmsdale, The Mound, Lairg, Bonar Bridge, Edderton, Invergordon, Muir of Ord, Beauly and Clunes. Argyll and the Highlands' Lost Railways. Tour Argyll.
For years the haunt of holidaying Glaswegians, this book captures Dunoon and the Cowal peninsula in the days when tourists were delivered by steamers rather than car ferries, and when a paddle in the sea and a promenade along the pier were all the ingredients needed for a great Fair holiday. Apart from Dunoon itself, many of the Cowal villages are included among the sixty photographs: Kirn, Hunter's Quay, Ardnadam, Sandbank, St Catherine's Well, Strachur, Millhouse, Kames, Tighnabruaich, Glendaruel, Colintraive, Innellan and Bullwood. Most of these communities had their own piers, many of which are pictured here, and a number of the photographs feature the notorious gunpowder mill at Millhouse, explosions at which could be heard as far away as Dunoon itself. Highland Mary's birthplace is also featured, as well as the pub run by Fitroy MacLean, the original James Bond. Old Dunoon and Cowal. Tour Dunoon.
Ken Hall takes us on a spectacular new journey round The Isle Of Arran, using archive material from his extensive collection. Puffers and paddle-steamers, agriculture and industry, what little there was, are included, as are all the settlements on the island: Brodick, Invercloy, Corrie, Sannox, Lochranza, Catacol, Pirnmill, Machrie, Shiskine, Blackwaterfoot, Sliddery, Kilmory, Lagg, Kildonan, Shannochie, Dippin, Whiting Bay, King's Cross, and Lamlash. If you love The Isle Of Arran, Scotland, you'll love this book. The Isle of Arran. Tour Isle Of Arran.